River Rock Outfitter Consignment Program
Did you buy the best ultralight gear with the intention to hike the AT and never got around to it?
Did you outgrow your current pack or jacket but it’s still in great shape?
Are you ready for a gear upgrade and need a little cash to help you out?
All perfectly great reasons to bring your lightly used and loved gear to River Rock Outfitter. Our gear experts will evaluate the condition of the gear and assess its value. With your help we will determine a price that will make your wallet and our cash register happy!
Item Acceptance List
*This list is not comprehensive and is dependent on space constraints which change daily and/or seasonal considerations. Final decisions are made once the item is reviewed in store.
For inquiries regarding specific items, please:
Call River Rock Outfitter at 540-372-8708 or E-mail [email protected]
We will consider the following items: (in good condition)
Synthetic and Down Jackets
Rain Jackets and Hardshells
Gently Used Hiking Boots and Shoes
Backpacks, Daypacks, and Hydration Packs
Fleece and Flannel
Stoves and Cooking Equipment
Filtration (upon filter inspection)
Paddles and PFDs
Ruffwear or Equivalent Quality Dog Gear
We DO NOT accept the following items: (regardless of condition)
Bathing Suits or Boardshorts
Intimate Apparel (i.e. Underwear, Bras, Socks)
Bikes or Bike Accessories
Climbing Harnesses, Ropes, and Carabiners
Fishing Rods, Reels, or Tackle
The Consignment Process
We will accept consignment by appointment only. Contact River Rock Outfitter at [email protected] to request a time to drop off, assess, and price your gear. Appointment times are available 7 days a week during normal business hours.
Before arriving at the store:
- Clean and assess your items for cleanliness, defects, and missing parts. When you drop off your item it MUST be ready to sell without additional work by River Rock Outfitter staff.
- Bring with you the following information:
- Description of item
- The original MSRP
- How much you would like to sell the item for (max 80% of current retail price)
- We will create a customer account for you or pull up your existing customer account.
- Our employees will assess the condition of your gear. Some gear may need to be fully assembled for quality control. Please ensure that you have budgeted enough time to assist staff with this process.
- You and our manager/owner will negotiate the price to sell the gear.
- You will sign a contract agreeing to our consignment policies.
Once Gear is Received:
- Your item(s) will be tagged and merchandised.
- If your item(s) sells, a River Rock Outfitter sales associate will notify you.
- If your item(s) does not sell after 3 months, the price of your item may be lowered, or the item will be returned to you. If it has not sold after 12 months, you will have the option to pick up the item or donate it to charity. Once notified, the item must be picked up within 72 hours or it will be automatically donated to a local charity.
- Our manager/owner will work with you to best price your item.
- In general, a gently used item should be priced 50-60% off the item’s current retail price.
- Brand-new items must be discounted a minimum of 20% off of their current retail price; however, we recommend 30% off the current retail price.
Price Change Policy
- You may request to reduce the price of your item after 3 months. Requests for price adjustments or item removal may take up to 5 days to process.
- All price change requests must be provided to the manager/owner at [email protected]
- You will receive 60% of the amount your item sold for in store credit or 50% via check.
- Your credit will be stored on your customer loyalty account and you may use your credit on items purchased in the shop (this excludes XP Academy classes and/or rentals).
- River Rock Outfitter will contact you within 5-days of your item selling.
- There is a 14-day waiting period before payment becomes available to allow for potential returns.
Damaged/Stolen Item Policy
- River Rock Outfitter is not responsible for damages incurred while an item is on consignment.
- Stolen items will be paid out at their lowest price after 14 days.
After 12 months, you have the option to donate any unsold consigned item(s) to charity. If you do not want your items to be donated, you are welcome to come to the store and retrieve them at any time or within 72 hours of notification of removal of the item from the sales floor.
River Rock Outfitter makes regular donations to local charitable organizations. Recipients of these donations are non-profit organizations who work on behalf of local community members.